Much of this information came from “Celebrating 150 Years of Service: Concord Public Library 1855 – 2005” which can be found on the Concord Public Library web site.
2012: The Concord Public Library Foundation develops a user-friendly website to inform and to provide useful information about the events and efforts the Concord Public Library Foundation and the Concord Public Library.
2004: The Friends of the Library merged with the Foundation, and in an evolving arrangement this organization continues to support the Concord Public Library through fundraising, volunteer support and advocacy. Following the Needs Assessment Report in 2007, the Foundation has taken a lead role in bringing a new 21st Century library to Concord.
2000: The new Foundation began fundraising to renovate the CPL Children’s Room.
1999: The Concord Public Library Foundation was separated from the Library Board of Trustees and from then on they functioned as two separate groups.
1962: The CPL Trustees first organized a Concord Public Library Foundation as a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation for “the purpose of receiving and administering lifetime and testamentary gifts for the benefit of the Concord Public Library,”and for many years the two groups functioned as two different boards with the same membership.
1960: A Friends group for the Concord Public Library was established by the joining together of two different groups of citizens, one that was concerned about providing additional support for the library beyond the city budget (nothing changes!) and a second group that was interested in establishing a music program within the library structure.
1857: The Concord Public Library officially opened for business.1849: The NH Legislature passed a general law that authorized cities and towns to establish and maintain their own public libraries.
1855: An ordinance for the establishment of a public library was passed by the Concord City Council and the first trustees (7) were elected.